Before I got married, I was looking for some signs that I am about to take the plunge. I asked some of my married friends back then how will I know. All they said to me was that, “you’ll just know it’s time”. That didn’t help me in anyway. It agonized me even more. But looking back now, I guess I can see some telltale signs that I was going to get married soon even if the proposal hasn’t come yet.
So here’s my list of signs that you’re going to get married soon.
1. The ‘talk’ happened between you and your partner. Whether it is a casual conversation or a serious one, both of you consider the idea of settling down together.
2. For Filipino cultures, when you let your parents know of your plans of getting married, that’s one sure sign that you’re tying the knot soon. Details aren’t there yet, but the intent is there.
3. You are looking for a place to stay and call your own home. My now-husband and I helped each other find our own place even before we were wed. You need to prepare your abode before the wedding takes place, or else, you aren’t actually ready for married life.
4. You open a joint bank account. For some, this may take place after the wedding, but for my husband and I, this worked for us even when we were single individuals just yet. We saved up so we can have our dream wedding, but more than that, to prepare for our future joined together as husband and wife. But we made sure, we already had the commitment to marry when we did this. Otherwise, you may find yourself in a financially bad situation, when a bad break-up happens.
5. You are looking to buy a bed, a stove and a refrigerator. Yes, as ordinary as it may sound, those three things are what seems to me the first things you will purchase as a married couple.
6. You find yourself attending wedding fairs and considering suppliers for your wedding needs. If you are detail-oriented as me, this task can be daunting. But be sure to put on the right perspective: the wedding will just take place in one day. You need to put in more focus and effort at the marriage that will last forever.
7. You are composing your wedding vows to be exchanged with your soon-to-be lifetime partner during the ceremony. This is my ultimate wake-up call that I will very soon be getting married to my one true love. Rehearsing the vow the night before the wedding is as surreal as it can get. You get to sleep that night knowing that when you wake up, you will never be alone anymore – ever.
So the next time someone asks you, how will I know if I’m about to get married, shove them in on these 7 signs. You might have your own sign to add to. Happy wedding bells to those getting married! 🙂
CGI picture: Andrew Albano